Friday 14 June 2024

Post Battle Summary etc.

The Butcher's Bill:

Having assessed the casualties* from the late fight the Government army (surprisingly?) came off worse; approx. 300 dead or mortally wounded and over 500 wounded - the Holstein regiment suffering particularly, due to their repulse at the village and from being bombarded by the Jacobite guns. The Government cavalry also suffered (from their brawl with Elcho's horse and the volleys from the Lowlanders) as did Lascalls Regiment (enemy artillery and the charge by Cluny's regiment). 

The Jacobites fared better overall, with around 180 dead/mortally wounded/missing (a lot of the "missing" Highlanders turned up again) and roughly 600 wounded, but they also lost Elcho and Strathallan.

[*Dice test for each figure taken off the table; a simple 20 sided dice: 1-2 dead,  3-6 badly wounded (needing evacuation), 10-20 lightly wounded/unscathed. I keep playing around with this process as the real-life stats seem to be all over the place for this period. Part of me says I should be separating the figures removed into "caused by guns", "caused by small arms" caused by hand to hand" piles and having different throws for these categories. Needs more work.]

I now need to transfer the (detailed) casualties to the campaign tokens.



The Councils of War:

In true 18thC style both sides go to a Council of War* to discuss the next move. Straightforward enough of itself. However, as an extra complication for the Government forces, the Dutch have now realised that there were actual French troops 
among the Jacobites (albeit a small detachment - and below the Board Game "trigger" level - which didn't actually get involved in the combat). This may make Nassau, their commander, feel the need to contact his superiors for orders. This WILL affect matters for the Government, but the Jacobites don't know this.

[My usual card draw system.]  

 

Sooo.....

On the Government side Nassau (against the wishes of his colonels) says he needs to seek instructions, in case the terms of the Convention re. French involvement have come into play. This pretty much decides matters - despite Hawley, two of the cavalry colonels and Blakeney feeling more aggressive action is called for. The King is less gung-ho, however, and it is decided, given the situation with the Dutch (and the fact that the hoped for reinforcements for Ireland are still somewhere at sea), to march for Edinburgh - where there is a garrison and where supports, in the form of several British regiments from Flanders, are soon expected.  

The Jacobites, on the other hand, with Murray sitting on the fence, are pretty much in accord - apart from Charlie, who clearly would prefer some kind of action, but cannot actually muster any arguments to convince the somewhat negative Perth and O'Sullivan. It is decided to march for Newcastle, where, like the Government, they expect reinforcements from across the North Sea (Drummond, the
Royal-Ecossais and more Irish).

And so October comes to a close....




 



2 comments:

  1. Well, hello there Ian! As always, a lot of great work that looks as if it were also a great deal of fun.
    Thank you for letting us know about your departure from the Solo Mini Facebook group, I wondered where you'd gone!
    I have encountered some "strangeness" there from admins in the past as well. Too many cooks in the kitchen?
    My old and cranky self abides as well!
    It was some of your posts on the site that actually got me fired up years ago and has since helped me to up my game(s) to new levels. So, thank you for that.
    In any event I'll miss seeing you there.
    Regards to these most recent posts, Great Stuff!
    This is a period I do in fact have some figures for (still unpainted of course!) but one I have not yet ventured into. Perhaps some small (everything I do is 28 mm) skirmishes ahead!
    I've been trying to think through a sort of R. E. Howard, Solomon Kane / Witch-Warlock hunting/Highway Robbers sort of thing.
    As to casualty counts, I too put much effort into it, and I like your idea of sorting out by types of damage. I would think that artillery wounds would need to have an even higher percentage for death or maiming. But then you know how it is with me and artillery!
    Keep up the great work my friend and I'll try to check in here more frequently to see what you've been up too!
    Oh, and I hope you and the Mrs. are enjoying your new digs!
    Best ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello back at ya... Good to hear from you.
    Thanks for the kind words - I'm still plodding away here. Writing up some more of "The 45" campaign today; then likely back into my African and Roman stuff. At the New House I have room for more than one project at a time (!!!!).
    Yeah, left the Group (while in grumpy bafflement mode); two of my posts deleted without any contact from Admin, which given the contribution one has made over the years seemed a tad poor. Either too many cooks or new brooms I guess.. Hey, ho.. I'll miss seeing your wonderful, colourful adventures, otherwise it's really a case of "less work for me"..
    The Highway Robber stuff sounds fun...
    Re. casualties; Yes; totally agree on the artillery effect on the fallen. I think next time I'll have a "casualty box" off-table with "subject of guns" and "subject of small arms" areas to put the bods, then have different dice roll criteria for the different sections. I'll note that here once done.
    Right.. Back to The Blockhouse; the French are out, and Charlie is marching on York...
    All the best - and thanks for the interest...

    ReplyDelete

The Jacobite Rebellion (cont'd)

Manoeuvres and Marching: With late Autumn Charlie heads up to Berwick*, but it is all too clear that, with the troops from Ireland landing a...