Sunday 16 June 2024

In Other News....

My Table...

The last couple of days I've had a number of queries online regarding how I made the table shown in the recent battle report here. 


Just to satisfy anyone else's curiosity, here's a precis of what I did:

Stage 1) Boxes/books placed on the table for the heights, these overlaid with some cloth (sometimes I use a neoprene battle mat I have as an underlay instead) to soften the edges.

Stage 2) Home-made, cheap watered acrylic-dyed mat made of a cheap fleece material bought locally (the stuff they make fleeces out of) laid over all.

Stage 3) Woods (cheap Ebay trees, clump, clump stuck to those fibre things they put in the bottom of hanging baskets, bits of salvaged and dried moss & good old lichen), buildings (card - home made and about 40 years old now) just put on as per any other table.

Stage 4) Dried (used) tea leaves sprinkled as the road/track & field boundaries and the brown "fields" (using a bit of card where I need a straight edge).

Stage 5) The trickiest: the "gill" is painted cling-film just laid down where wanted and then edged/held down with clump material and tea leaves. ONE day I'll get round to making sections on card, but this is a really flexible way to make a one-off wee stream.

Stage 5) Set dressing: random bits of clump material and Irregular Miniature fences/hedgerows placed where wanted just to break up the field boundaries/add a bit of colour/variation. Decor really, but prettifies things a tad.....


All in all took about half an hour to 45 mins to actually set up, and packs away easy and quicker.

Folk might recall 
a guide I wrote up the other year re. to how I made a different (slightly more complex) table using the same basic principles.

https://denyers.blogspot.com/2021/03/making-scrubby-table.html

As always, if anyone has any queries please ask...

Funny Old World..

Also re online: with the Wonderful World of Social Media being what it is, I've left the Facebook Solo Wargaming group (the group formerly known as "Solo Wargames With Miniatures", now called solo wargaming discussions and ideas or something. I have difficulty keeping up..) to which I have been regularly contributing since 2017 (and whose members encouraged, the setting up of this Blog). Seemingly my "Battle of Carlisle" post here wasn't solo-orientated enough for the Admin. and got deleted. Why that one, and not the dozens of previous links here I've posted I don't know. Maybe the rules had changed (?). But since I'm too old (and cranky) to start second-guessing, away-wards I have stepped. Life's too short - and I was finding the constant reiterating of the same advice to folk new to solo (nobody searches old posts on FB these days it seems) a tad repetitive. But hey, ho. Onwards and upwards....

Anyhoo.. Before the post WAS expunged there was some discussion in the comments regarding the methods used in the last game, and a query as to whether I would be publishing any specific, detailed description of my way of working (as will have been seen on my posts here, I do note some technical issues/procedures as I go along, but don't do a blow-by-blow breakdown as this tends to interrupt the narrative). Although my methods are constantly evolving I am giving some thought to this, so if anyone is interested here please pass me a comment (if you don't want the actual comment published please note this). Cheers.  




Cheerfuller (?) News:

Some 20mm SCI-FI "Not Star-Trek" 3d prints and some 3D printed 6mm houses I ordered have come in.. So, MORE painting to do... IS that good news..? Hmmm.....

Watch this space..  

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Other News....

My Table... The last couple of days I've had a number of queries online regarding how I made the table shown in the recent battle report...