Sunday 15 March 2020

As one Project Ends....

Moving on...


I have had a LOT of fun with the "Not North West Frontier" project and can see that this will come out to play again, as well as providing thoughts on other movie-themed games (a list is already bubbling away in my butterfly mind).

The PDF of the rules I used for the Journey is available on the Solo Wargames With Miniatures Facebook group or if you send me a request via "comment" (which I will not publish) with an e-mail address I'll send a copy.



If I'd had more time the rules would be shorter and I'd have done a QRS but they work for me. I used my "House Rules" for the on-table shooting. Nothing fancy.


Putting this together reminded me of MacDonald-Fraser's short story "Night Run to Palestine" train from the McAuslan stories, about another OIC train.... Totally recommended reading...




NOT I hasten to add, an inspiration for another solo venture - rules for a junior officer coping with possible terrorists while overseeing choleric Colonels, Flighty WAAFS, military prisoners and babies emitting noxious substances from both ends would test even my rule-jigging patience....

Before I put the Station table away I had a couple of 
quick games to work on my "Colonial Skirmish" house rules using bods from my old "Sanders of the River" campaign (pics).. I really need to revive that sometime.....












While doing so I realised I needed to put together some unobtrusive markers for Pinning and Morale.
For my Ancient and medieval games I use ikkle spears, shields and bodies (pic) as morale markers (I like my markers to blend with the scene a bit) but was stuck for more modern stuff..





Have thus been messing with twigs and coloured  "tufts" from the
excellent "Boontown Metals" scenics range....




.....and scratchbuilt "pinned" markers (Hollywood style bullet puffs).



Both seem to work, but watch this space...

I note that Blogger is being ridiculously unstable this morning, so apologise for what appear to be unchangeable font variations and spacing above..

The next couple of weeks may prove problematic, with all hands to the pumps at work due to the virus thang but there are lots of thoughts bubbling away in my brain..

An always, comments & queries welcome...




2 comments:

  1. The tuffts and puffs are a good idea. The "Virus"? At work it´s gone a bit barmy with new Health regs, everything´s cancelled and there´s no fe**in bog roll to be had anywhere!!
    It all reminds me of corporal Jones´s saying from dads army.
    This, Jonathan Pie on Coronavirus;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aox7CeOdmOY
    is worth a look. Bit of swearing but funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha.. Pie hits the nail on the head... The whole panic is crazy..I have several self-employed friends who's decades of hard work are likely to go down the pan and their homes put on the line because of panic responses by our government and others..

      Yesterday I dealt with my first "bogroll rage" case...

      Am waiting for the "string up the journalists so this can never happen again" riots to start...

      Homo Sapiens... Failing to live up to its name for 196,000 years..

      Delete

New Year. New House. New Plans..

New hope...? Well, we're in the new house at last.... I now have: A garage to convert into a workshop for, amongst other things, modelli...