Friday 20 April 2018

Solo Games for fun.....


Introduction:

After a lot of interest - and encouraging comments - on Facebook Groups I have decided to bite the bullet and start a blog about my Solo gaming/wargaming projects, rules & techniques.

This will almost certainly turn out to be be a somewhat erratic, idiosyncratic and meandering saga, but the main criteria to which I will be working will be as follows:

Firstly nothing I will write is intended to be anything other than a "this is what I'm currently doing" commentary. It is not going to be an "I suggest YOU do this" blog in any way, set or fashion (Nooo way am I THAT arrogant.....).

Next: nothing I write is intended to be critical of other people's rule sets, fave methods/rules/games, concepts, ideas etc. etc. etc. I MAY state my own very possibly prejudiced and equally possibly wrong opinions on rule conventions an' methods from time to time, but these should be read as mere "personal preferences" - themselves subject, as all opinions should be, to change...

Next, next: I claim nothing as original. I stand on the shoulders of giants; tweaking their ideas and works for my own amusement. All of my musings are seriously plagiaristic (a word nicked from Fitzgerald). Where remembered I will give credit. Where not; I apologise in advance.

Last: I am about having fun. My writing style is probably not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but nothing is intended to offend anyone... Please take everything I scribble as being unleashed upon the unsuspecting world on that basis... And have some fun yourself.......
 

                                                                *

So, what am I  going to be writing about..?

Basically solo wargaming projects; mainly covering Ancient (Roman early Empire) and Medieval (my "Robin Hood" project) but with the odd dip into "Colonial", Sci-Fi and other periods and oddments that take my fancy....

Much of what I am going to be setting out will be "experimental" game systems patched together for my own purposes. They are primarily intended to replicate an unpredictable environment and "AI" so as
present a challenge to the Solo player (Featherstone's "Lonely Wargamer"). If any of these ramblings spark an idea, rush of enthusiasm or inspiration in anyone else then all the better.....

Interspersed will be pics from games & projects, docs.  and so forth.

Many of the early posts will be based on items I have previously posted on the Facebook "Solo Wargaming With Miniatures" and "The Ancient & Medieval Wargamer" groups. As with anything I throw up for folk to look at I always welcome questions, queries, suggesntions and comments...

So, off we go......



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year. New House. New Plans..

New hope...? Well, we're in the new house at last.... I now have: A garage to convert into a workshop for, amongst other things, modelli...