Sunday 21 October 2018

Tuning the Tables...

An Interim Post....

In between projects post Battle o' Hastings (We lost. Again...). Apart from nursing a few bruises later (see B. o' Hastings) and with nothing new to write up (just more painting of 15mm Blue Moon bods - oh dear...) I thought I'd tidy up a couple of my posts from the Solo FB group (from last year) re. my use of tables for Tactical Decisions.


In the pic below are some very simple example tables for the "AI" army I occasionally adopt for large battles, using a standard playing card deck, plus an example of a typical "Blinds Reveal" table (I use "Blinds" a lot - I love imponderables).

Usually Activation of "MY" forces will be by SP type tokens or cards. Enemy (AI) grand strategy or random activities will be dictated - on a draw of THEIR Army (or, sometimes, Division) token/s, then a draw from a standard playing card pack - by the appropriate Table. I will usually draw up such tables based on the scenario and backstory - or as dictated by the campaign where appropriate..



 

Although, in theory, my own sub-commanders will obey orders (yeah. Right..) there is scope of initiative for those reacting to circumstances or out of my Control Radius. An example of one of these tables is given below.




The above assumes I have an Enemy/Blinds on the table. The table below shows the kind of thing I use for when the enemy aren't on the table to start with. This table assumes use of firearms, but could be adapted for any missile-using AI enemy (e.g. bow-armed outlaws etc.).



For standard large battles my usual M.O. is that:


1) have a set of "General Orders" for the "AI army " based on the scenario/situation (e.g "Defensive Stance", "Aggressive Stance" or "Unknown Stance"). I then draw up a "General Table" (like Table 1 above) to add uncertainty on my part (e.g. see my "replaying" of the Battle of Watling Street post).

 

2) However, once battle has joined there will be situations where IMP provides an opportunity to the AI - e.g. a flanking opportunity. In such cases I do a quick, scribbled ad hoc table to see if the local commander sees and has the initiative to take advantage Again, in my Battle of Watling Street post, this happened - my left flank was doing reasonably well and pushing back the Roman right.  However, in following up that local success the flank of one of my units was exposed to a possible opportunistic attack from enemy cavalry. I scribbled a "proportionate table" to allow for the Roman cavalry unit c.o. to check if he would see - and be prepared to use his initiative and exploit - this opportunity. As it happened he did, charged my hitherto successful unit, broke it - and, as the reaction spread - broke my whole army... Brilliant - even if it did mess up the experiment...)


Below is a quick example of my tables "In Action".  Yes - heresy - these are 5mm figs, and I'm using SP cards rather than tokens for visibility purposes.

EXAMPLE:

OK: I have drawn up tables for this game based on the "Scenario Story" (a border clash between two rival Greek colonies out in the far and murky Celtic West) and the "Stance" of both parties. In this case both parties are aggressive.

The "Greek" tables below are for the AI (my enemy).


I have some friendly (presumably because I am paying them) Celts from the hinterland as allies. These will generally do as I ask, but since they are not actually "my guys" they have a table too.




The board and armies are set up. Turn sequence is as follows:

1) The "Table Phase"; I have a normal pack of playing cards (the "Table Deck") to activate the tables. Each move I throw a dice. On a throw of "6" on a 6d I draw one card from this pack and apply the result, moving the units/leaders affected as if this were a "normal game move" and they had been activated in Phase 2. I then discard this card.

Note that in this scenario, after two moves I add one point to the dice throw, increasing the chance of table activation. After the fourth move I add an additional point to this throw. Thereafter it will only take a throw of 4 to activate the Table Deck.

Once I have checked for/activated the table I then move on to Phase 2: the Leader Activation Phase.

2) Leader Activation Phase: Leader activation will be via the Sharp Practice cards (pictured) me having already written out which unit commander has which card leader number. There are some additional "Command" card in use to speed things along.

Once activated Leaders/units will move as "normal game rules" (in this case my House Rules) as per army stance.

The game then proceeds.

Move one - and no tables get activated this turn. Normal Activation as per the SP cards commence. Enemy are aggressive so as their units activate they will advance. The AI advances his skirmishers and
follows up with his phalanx and right flank cavalry.

I don't get a look-in.

At end move skirmishers exchange fire...



Move Two and the Table Pack dice throw activates the AI Pack.

A Jack o' Diamonds "Advance Right Wing to Flank Enemy and/or Deploy Reserve is drawn. The AI advances his right wing (cavalry) and I do a quick "does he add his reserve?" throw (1-3 No. 4-6 Yes). His right cav. & cav. reserve move round to threaten my flank...

Meanwhile the enemy's phalanx moves through his skirmish line and forms up.

MY Activation Cards allow me to adjust my left backwards to meet this threat AND to set my Allies moving.




Again the Table Pack activates (dice)and the enemy moves his phalanx (this is all one formation - formed of 4 units forward). My allies get charged, and recoil....

At end move all I can do is shoot my skirmishers...

 


Next go again the Table Pack gets activated - and the Enemy left gets a flanking order. However, there are walls and vineyards in the way, do to do this the enemy left cav. must take a detour....

Meanwhile their right cavalry (threatening my left flank) get no cards at all.

Thanks to Activation my CiC now gets the chance to inspire and swing my allies round and into the enemy phalanx left flank/rear, scattering his skirmishers in the process His leftmost hoplites break - and with one of my phalanx units charging his centre (lucky Activation card and plucky unit commander!!!) there is a chain reaction, with his whole phalanx panicking, prompting a route....  PHEW!!! NOT the result I expected at all, but none the less welcome for that......



Things could have gone very differently. My Allies could have misbehaved, the Activation Cards could have been totally different,  but as it was it was a short, sharp, fun game..

Well, I hope that was of some use as a basic demo. of the Table Activation & use. These aspects can be applied to any move/shoot/fight rules (I was using my basic SP/Featherstone House Rules)....

Any queries please ask as usual...

Next time:  another Musketeer exercise in Data Gathering (watch this space) then on with more 1/72 painting (1stC Jewish insurgents) ....


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year. New House. New Plans..

New hope...? Well, we're in the new house at last.... I now have: A garage to convert into a workshop for, amongst other things, modelli...